The Diocese of Saint John, New Brunswick is the seventh oldest Roman Catholic Diocese in Canada. It was established on September 30, 1842, by
Pope Gregory XVI, when New Brunswick was detached from the Diocese of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Irish-born Father William Dollard,
who had spent twenty-five years as a missionary in New Brunswick and Cape Breton, was named its first Bishop. The Diocese originally embraced
the entire Province of New Brunswick, and the Episcopal Seat was in Fredericton, the Province's Capital, for a short time before it was established in
Saint John. In 1860 the Diocese was divided in two, with the newly established Diocese of Chatham occupying the north, and the Diocese of Saint John, the south.
Subsequent divisions and amalgamations followed, and today there are four Sees in the Province of New Brunswick: Moncton, Bathurst, Edmundston and Saint John,
Moncton being the Metropolitan See. Led by the Most Rev. Robert Harris, Twelfth Bishop of Saint John, the Diocese serves over 115,000 Catholics dispersed over
eight counties and three principal regions: Saint John, Fredericton and Miramichi. It is served by 58 Diocesan Priests, 6 Religious Priests, 4 Priests on loan
to the Diocese, 3 Deacons and 86 Religious Women. There are 59 Parishes (39 with resident Pastor), 24 Mission Churches, 7 Catholic Schools,
1 Retreat House (Villa Madonna Retreat House) and 1 Catholic University (St. Thomas University, Fredericton, New Brunswick).
Some Related Links